Saturday 1 March 2008

Back to Kanto

Well as much fun as Kansai in West Japan is, it was time to head back to the Kanto region in the East,Yokohama,Tokyo,etc, so after an early start Chris and I were on our way

Its the 1st thing many people think of when they think of Japan - Mount Fuji, also the countries highest mountain at 3,776 m (12,388 ft). Passed it on the Shinkansen on the way back to Yokohama. The plan was to meet our friend Shino and hang with her for the day. We 1st met Shino on our 1st trip in 2006 and she is the only person we have met all 3 times, she leads an easy life, mechanic by day and drifter when she is not working, not bad. Big U2 fan, she does not like the fact I dont live too far away from them either!

Random Japan Part 4 - free tissues. You will see this a lot outside train stations in Japan, someone handing out small packets of hankercheifs. Not for blowing your nose, which is seen as very bad manners in Japan but for when you go to a public toilet and there is no toilet paper,as many public toilets wont have any. Saw them being handed out a lot, but this girl was making a big effort to hand out as many as possible, not to mention the fact that I thought her coat was cool. She didnt give me or Chris any though!

Outside Shinos garage, called Amazement

Shinos very cool circuit spec AE86, with a side exit exhaust. The last time I visted Japan Shino brought us to a drift day at Nikko Circuit

A targa top Datsun 260Z,FC and FD RX7's,a S14 Silvia and 2 AE86's outside the garage

Later and to my shock there were slippers that fitted me!! Unlike the Hotel in Osaka

Later after a fine meal it was once again time to engage in that greatest of all Japanese social activities - Karaoke

In some Japanese karaoke places you can sneak in drinks, so I brought in Chu-hi, which is a Shochu mixer, strong stuff!! Well its well known that too much alcohol makes people show off a bit, particularly me........

The Karaoke machine in this place gives you a score out of 100......

Chris just picks up the microphone and makes some singing type noises, scores 78

Wow aswell as being a mechanic,drifter and general nutcase Shino can sing really well, she scores 92...... So I had to go for it

And I did with that well known rock tune Black Dog by legends Led Zeppelin, not good enough, I only got 89. Ah well, if you dont enter you cant lose

The next day, back in Shinos old traditional Japanese house, almost entirely made from wood, and its not a camera trick, the doorframe is quite low, got a nice bruise on my forehead when I forgot to duck.. Not to mention the very narrow steps leading upstairs, oh well I got used to kids staring up at me lol

Ja Ne Shino, see you soon!!

1 comment:

Chris said...

good update! damn cats lol